This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services, to personalize ads and to analyze traffic. Information about your use of this site is shared with Google. By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies. TO LEARN MORE GO HERE https://www.google.com/policies/technologies/cookies/

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

For Genealogists.-- Books - articles on Agriculture ; Stock raisers and Breeders- Hybrids and Pedigrees

Treasures and joy at an antique shop.
Once while I was returning east from somewhere over a three hour trip, I stopped for gas at a RED BArn Antique shop for a little break from driving. It was located in an area not far from Baldwin, and maybe not in the jurisdiction of Baldwin city. . It also had a little cafe known for their delicious pies. [I like to make little stops along my way to my destinies, which never happens when I travel with my husband, so I guess it's a little treat or incentive I give myself for taking the long trip alone.]

I searched among the rows and rows for my one treasure I would take home for the day. I can't even remember what it was I purchased that day, sorry. But as I handed my check to the clerk and we off handily conducted that business of identification, etc, you know the drill; the clerk noted my name and asked me, if we were the ones, who raised such and such breed of cattle. [sorry I have forgotten the breed] I was surprised that anyone would know my husbands surname. This lady knew because they also raise the same cattle. I have since learned that a few of my husbands other cousins did indeed live further west of there! As I was telling my husband and wondering what uncle had this special breed of cows, I realized too it was his dairy farming uncle Mick and aunt Ann who lived many miles east of Baldwin. And it was true of course they stuck to that special breed of cattle that not everyone had.


I have told you before, it was the same for my grandfather at the Sunnyslope Farm who had a special breed of sheep. You can read about it at the link.

Just as I know other farmers and breeders have their special likes and dislikes of certain breeds of various animals they raise. It can be swine, horses, hunting dog, cats, pets, etc. They have recorded history or record associations, International livestock exposition. Sometimes something called a Herd book, Stud book.

This Post may as it goes further may sound like a repeat, but it 's not. Not exactly anyway.
I just have to bring to your attention anyway the advantages I find in google book search. It's something Minute as a book on the breeds of various livestock - [sheep or cattle,swine or hogs]. some farmers had their minds set on favorite kinds of Hybrid or breeds of animals.

The American Shire horse stud Volume 7 - Page 403Charles Burgess- American Shire Horse Association - 1910

Duroc-Jersey Swine Record Association: Volume 61 - Page 7
V1 QUEEN'S BRIDE— Farrowed April
18. 1917. In litter 9, raised — hoars 0. sows 6 Bred by EE Handley. Carroll. Iowa, sold to JH Saucke.

The Iowa engineer: Volumes 7-8 - Page 130Iowa State College - 1907
>Fred Coates, Farnhamville, Iowa. FAB Paterson, Fairmont, Minn. Enamel Concrete Co., Des Moines, Iowa. Orin Ruffcorn, Des Moines, Iowa. HF Flanagan, Des Moines, Iowa. Electric Cement Post Co., Lake City, Iowa. RE Smith, Lake City, Iowa.

Iowa engineer: Volumes 5-7 - Page 103Iowa State University, Iowa State College - 1905 - Full view
CALHOUN COUNTY WL Skinner, Farnhamville. Earl Skinner, Farnhamville. CARROLL COUNTY 0. W. Carpenter, Coon Rapids. CASS COUNTY Milo II. Cook, Griswold. CEDAR COUNTY R. Brewer, Lowden. CS Hollingsworth, W. Branch CERRO GORDO COUNTY Geo. ...

Once while I was browsing through books like these, I was surprised to see names of place in England and Germany poping up as Breeders /Hybrid suppliers for people in Churdan, Farnhamville.and other towns. I never seem to run enough of them through a search.

And I have found special advertisements through google search of certain special breeds of dogs, say for hunting or some other aspect they are known to have. Breeders associations, the breeders or sellers have lived in villages I have a special interest about to wade through hyprids and pedigree charts, but well we are used to those, aren't we? . Unless I make an effort to search into these aspects, I won't know. It is time consuming though, to just broadly search the names of your towns. Should I call it fun?

I have looked newspapers sources over for ancestors name not nearly enough, often useing quotes or phrases, but next time I am going to remember that articles have been written in the past about the farms and livestock of our farming ancestors. I see too, that they don't have to live in rural areas.
United Lutheran Church in America - 1899 - Full view
Richter, Prof F Clinton, Iowa. Richter, FL, Fargo, Cass co. N Dak. Richter, HR, Denham, Pulaski co, Ind. Richter, Otto C, Evansville. III. Richter, Otto E, Melrose, Minn. Richter, Wni, Appleton City, Mo. Rickels, Farnhamville, Iowa. ...

1911 - Full view
Residence Perry, nativity Iowa. Enlisted April 30, 1898, as Second Corporal. Mustered May 25, 1898. Mustered out Oct. 30, 1898, Des Moines, Iowa. McVay, Charles. Age 28. Residence Farnhamville. Enlisted July 2, 1898. ...
books.google.com

No cover image
Iowa. Secretary of State - 1892 - Full view
... in Twin Lakes 133 516 90 555 271 Gar fleld township lg) 482 593 233 602 697 488 208 1478 940 822 377 544 144 Reading township, including Farnhamville town 807 137 197 Twin Lakes township, including part of Roc

Jean Choate - 2002 - 232 pages - Preview
In June of 1935 the National Union Farmer carried an article on JH Saucke of Farnhamville, Iowa, who said he killed 42 pigs so that he could be in compliance with his corn-hog contract. The article, accompanied by a picture of the dea

1951 - Snippet view
Domsch, John T., Box 166, Farnhamville, Iowa. Donahue, Wm. F., 12 Du Bols Ave., Valley Stream, LI, NT Dora, Harold, B. S„ BA, R. 2, Box 6962, Redding, Calif. Dorn, Herbert P., 341 Beulah St., SE, Grand Rapids 7, Mich. ...

William H. Stennett - 1908 - 201 pages - Full view
Farnhamville, Calhoun County, Iowa. Little Lake, Marquette County, Michigan. Fennimore, Grant County, Wisconsin. Hetland, Kingsbury County, South Dakota. Lak


Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod - 1932 - Snippet view
... in St. Peter's Congregation, Farnhamville, Iowa, by AO Bleeke. — . ... NN, Iowa, Varions Missions, 8.00. NN, Michigan, Home Missions, 25.00. Rev. C. Eiss- feldt, Memorial Wreath for AG Brauer, Home Missions, 3.00. Per Dr. F. Brand, ...

Jean B. Grube - 1979 - 708 pages - Snippet view
On 24 December l884, in Dallas County, Iowa, he married Rosetta Evans, born l4 December l865, Henry County, Indiana; ... Farnhamville, Iowa; died l0 April l973, Fairmont, Minnesota. On 29 June l929, at Brownsdale, Minnesota, ...


And of course at the same time there are books bearing the names of your town other various subjects including churches and local events; Business reports; railroad reports; Associations such as Medical Associations; Insurances; Stock holders; science; Geology; Farmers co operations, farmer directories; electrical power associations; Commissioners Inventions; communication services; Libraries, Post offices Clubs; munincipal aspects; agencies; societies; Commercial and finances; Industrial; Conventions; Military; government; aspects of transportation, commerce; atlases and maps; Funeral Homes; construction; Travel, commerce; weather; state fairs; Census; unions; hunting trapping; patents; Pilgrims of Iowa; Music; homeopathic; heritage books; books of biographical nature; education aspects; bar or law associations; Historical books of other areas with one person from your village; perhaps something in the line of Agriculture - horticulture or Feed, grain or Seed. I have notice some local books are being copied. More on that at another time.

Did I leave anything out?

Good luck with your many searches.

No comments:

Post a Comment