This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services, to personalize ads and to analyze traffic. Information about your use of this site is shared with Google. By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies. TO LEARN MORE GO HERE https://www.google.com/policies/technologies/cookies/

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Home made Marshmallows!

I was browsing a newly discovered blog [ Maisy's], which had a cup of hot chocolate and home made Marshmallows. And wow, I did not know there was such a thing commonly made at home. So of course like a term paper, but with delight, I was off to check this out. You have to get your mighty google tool and away you go.

I have been told that the most visited place will be at the top of a googled page, so I guess I started there.
Actually it was located further down on the web page, because of the list of ingredients, I will start here.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/hot-cocoa-and-homemade-marshmallows-recipe/index.html gives ingredients as:

Homemade Marshmallows:

3 tablespoons (3 packets) powdered gelatin*

2 cups cold water

2 cups sugar

2 egg whites**

2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted, plus more for dusting pan and marshmallows

Butter, for greasing pan

..................................

Ahhh egg whites is the clue, were going to swirl these and bake like meringue right.

Nope, we leave them sit out for at least three hours. If you know me I have bragged about this delicious Peanut butter, Chocolate Pie with raw eggs, and I have then already told you that I quit making it for the reason of the raw eggs. I was at a standstill as to how to change it. Perhaps, if we consume them all right away there is less risk of Salmonella. Refrigeration and drying maybe don't mix.
Sounds fairly good to me. My favorite valentine's day pie was made with moms fresh eggs. [A Pillsbury recipe]



--Google Food network produces Al Brown --

Ingredients

  • 3 packages unflavored gelatin
  • 1 cup ice cold water, divided
  • 12 ounces granulated sugar, approximately 1 1/2 cups
  • 1 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • Nonstick spray

And this time a mixture is cooked then set for four hours or even overnight. I wonder if there is the bad corn syrup in purchased Marshmallows.




-- Joy of Baking.

http://www.joyofbaking.com/candy/HomemadeMarshmallows.html




-- From Slash food --

http://www.slashfood.com/2006/10/24/how-to-make-homemade-marshmallows/

Uses corn syrup. And the makes it Picture look oh so yummy.



--And a huge endorsement, maybe from Oprah --

Oprah and Martha Stewart's name involved at this site:

http://www.oprah.com/food/Homemade-Marshmallows

Homemade Marshmallows

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
  • Confectioners' sugar (for dusting)
Sounds like a great plan if you want something nice for valentines day, and just maybe you don't even have to leave the house if you keep a well stocked kitchen.




My Comments
My first thought besides the hot chocolate, was, do they use these in Rice Crispie Marshmallow treats? How are they in S-mores.? They claim the store purchased ones are tasteless and these have something more. That is reason enough I think to try it. Will I personally, maybe if I need them quick sometime, at Thanksgiving and Christmas and my supply is all dried up. Maybe. Well the reason is because I never dipped much into meringue type whipping in cooking, since i have been doing my stiring by hand most of the time. That was up until last year and then hubby gave me a mixer. But still I am going to let you try it and tell me true, okay.
just me jo.




No comments:

Post a Comment